View Single Post

Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
I see Volunteer Opportunities published in The Sun often... There seems to be many, many volunteer places available and I'd like to hear from all who do volunteer. Please describe the volunteer work, how long you've participated and why you do it...
Last year someone told me that groups like Operation Shoebox has too many volunteers...I don't know if that's true or not but it seemed strange to me..
Thanks!
I just started volunteering with Operation Shoebox. Yes there are a lot of people volunteering for them but I've never noticed anyone standing around looking for a job to do. Everyone keeps busy and every week there is more to do.

I moved to TV in October of last year and I have just began to volunteer on a regular basis. I took a while to sort through all the many opportunities. Right now I am working with Operation Shoebox, helping out with a 4-H group that is teaching sewing skills to youth, helping out with monthly craft sessions at an assisted living facility, and doing various sewing projects for various charities. I also try and volunteer in various positions at some of the clubs I belong to.

TV is a wonderful place to live and most of us have worked really hard in order to get here. As I see it though I worked hard I still am very blessed to be here and I want to pass on some of those blessings to others. I'm not sure I will stay with my current volunteer places forever, but I hope to be volunteering somewhere for as long as I have the ability to do so.