Thread: Attack Dog
View Single Post

Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
For those of you who are frightened when confronted by an aggressive unleashed dog, it’s best to remember Cesar Milan’s advice to clients entering his canine exercise pen with 30 problem dogs:

1. No Touch
2. No Talk
3. No Eye Contact

Basically ignore the dog and go about your business as though it isn't there. This tends to calm the dog down while it tries to figure out why you’re not reacting to its aggression.

And if you visit with friends that have a dog, ignore all advice from them about how friendly rover is and never approach it to try to make friends with it. Instead, let it decide to make friends with you if it wants to. It will do this by checking you out with its main inspection tool (it’s nose) and then nuzzling your hand if it wants affection.

And finally, never ever reach out to a dog (even one that knows you) while it’s being held in the arms of its owner because that’s a direct invasion of its private space and will often result in a defensive nip.
Yes, I agree, but one important point missed,
Cesar stresses, You must be calm and assertive.
The folks that were being chased, and could not be calm, and assertive.

To confirm that I know Cesar's methods work,
With Cesar's dvd series, I trained my almost 13 year old German Shephard and our Lab mix this spring using Cesars methods, as we unknowingly had given them the front door, and front porch as their territory, and they would charge the door, bark and jump up on people to kiss them. And pulled and walked in front when on the leash.
What it really boils down to is I retrained myself, and retrained my husband, (my dh being the most difficult, several weeks) the dogs responded almost immediately to OUR new behavior.

So I agree the fault lies with the owner being irresponcible not having them leashed.

Sorry to make this so long, but I am sorry the dogs tried to bite. This spring I was bitten by a dog the owner was walking on a leash that had told me Piper was a ""lover not a biter.
We were all standing around talking, and I was carressing Pipers head she leaped up knocked me down and I had 5 bite marks, punctures on my face, and a chiped front tooth. The owner then admited she had never trained the dog, and the dog had had 2 other crazy instances since last Thanksgiving. I called the Sherrif here in Greater Cincinnati, and made a report, got info from them, and my Vet., as to what to do. The next day I chose to let them decided what was best for their dog, as I could have opted to have it put down. Being a Puppymomma my dogs are my only children, I wanted to give them right to make the decision, but they did have to quarantine in for 10 days, and they paid my medical, and dental bill. This is the same dog I found out that leeped through the kitchen screen, and chewed up my neighbors leg 3 years before trying to bite his dog.
I won't walk on their street anymore because they chose to keep the dog.

Owners need trained, dogs need leashed, and trained.

GOLF2140, I sincerely hope you or someone spots the irresponcible dog owner, and contacts the athorities.
Puppy Hugs,
Puppymomma, alias Dancing Queen

Last edited by Dancing Queen; 09-04-2012 at 01:41 AM.