View Single Post

Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I grew up in St. Petersburg not far from Al Lang Field. As a teenager in the 60's I use to go there all the time for spring training games and try and get autographs.

One day the Yankees were playing and I was standing outside the stadium waiting for the players to go to the bus. I just happen to notice the guy standing next to me was Roger Maris in his civies mixed in with all of us autograph seekers. He had just been traded to the Cardinals and they were based in St. Pete but were off that day. He had come to see some of his old Yankee teammates. I remember when he gave me an autograph, he didn't seem agitated or putout like some of the other guys. Really nice fellow.

A few minutes later I noticed a big black limo pull up in front of Al Lang Field. I couldn't see through the dark windows, I just grabbed the door handle and opened the back door and out stepped Casey Stengel. He had also come to see some of his old players. He gave me an autograph right on the spot.

Once everyone had cleared out, I walked inside the stadium and looked around and noticed a couple of guys in the press box. It was Lindsey Nelson and Joe Garagiola. I use to hear Lindsey Nelson every Sunday morning when he did the replay of the Notre Dame games, he was my favorite announcer. I asked for their autogtraphs and Joe said, help me carry some things to my car and I'll give you one. At first I was disappointed because I wanted Lindsey's, but he seemed busy. Joe gave me a tape deck and I carried it out to his car. He asked what's my name, and he wrote me a personalized autograph, he was a real nice guy.