View Single Post

Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromMaine View Post
My most memorable was that, when I was 8 or 9, Peggy Wood (The Mother Superior in "The Sound of Music.") took me to my elementary school fair because my Mom couldn't. Her husband and my Dad owned competing printing companies and were good friends. I can remember that she wore a bright flowing flower print dress, a huge wide brimmed straw hat with a ribbon and bow, and, of course, the requisite dark glasses.

When I was 11 or 12, Commander Whitehead of Schweppes tonic fame, complete with trademark goatee, was a neighbor and his son, Charles, was a playmate. The Commander did a photo layout magazine ad for Schweppes on my Dad's sailboat.

When I was about 13, I taught John Philip Sousa III and his son, John Philip Sousa IV, how to sail. John Philip Sousa III was renting a house for the summer two doors down from us.

Also, when I was in my teens I watched as a "well oiled" Mel Allen made a pass at my Mom. He was a friend of my best bud's Dad and they were over for cocktails. Needless to say, I was royally PO'ed ... another reason why I have detested the NY Yankees all my life.

Lastly, Ed Koch, former out-spoken, curmudgeonly, lovable mayor of NYC, known for always asking folks; "How'm I doin'?" who recently died at age 88.
A humorous story happened when I met Mayor Koch; Back in 1987, when he was honoring our family NYC printing company in a private ceremony as we celebrated the business's 150th anniversary. While waiting in his outer office I was a bit nervous and needed to use the rest room next door. As I stood at the urinal, who should walk up to the one next to me but the mayor himself. He gave a quiet sigh of relief and my nervousness ... well, it was flushed away. He was a delightful man. God bless and rest in peace Mr. Mayor.
What a nice rendition of famous people met.