View Single Post

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Arrow

A bit of back ground on myself I’ve been in the aquarium (pet) industry over 35 years, during that time specializing in ponds, fish and reef tanks. Reef tanks demand a very high quality of water and some of the larger systems have upwards of $40K invested in its livestock.

For many years we have been selling the source water filtration systems for these aquariums in our stores and an authorized dealer.

The Villages Florida

The basic system is the one I already mentioned made by Axeon Water Technologies. We have had good results with their products, they are I believe one of the largest manufacturers in the US and private label for many others. They also make RO units which we use on tanks all the time. In addition they also manufacturer water softeners but be mindful all their products are commercial grade.

In the Villages the water is hard, but water hardness is not harmful to us so the issue is do you need or want soft water. As you know folks have been selling these for about $2500 to $7500, we can offer a unit as robust if not more so with equal or better ratings and capacities for only $1499.

“AXEON Meter Water Softeners use advanced ion exchange resin technology in order to meet the most demanding water conditions. These systems are designed for maximum performance with a minimal amount of maintenance and comply with all industry standards and specifications.
AXEON Meter Water Softeners offer a new dimension in water treatment equipment and have been engineered with both the installer and consumer in mind.
AXEON Meter Water Softeners are effective in reducing hardness, iron, and regenerate based on measured gallon flow-through. AXEON Meter Water Softeners require periodic backwashing to dispose of accumulated hardness ions. Backwashing allows for removal of contaminants through regeneration with a salt or potassium solution”

Having said that, I myself will not being installing a water softener in my Village home instead I’m using a whole house filter or “WHF”.
This is a LARGE triple 20” canister including the all important carbon bloc, removing what I feel is the primary contaminate for us to ingest, cook or bath in.
You will notice in the picture there are two gauges on the unit these will indicate a drop in water pressure comparing the incoming to our going. Easily telling you when the cartridge elements need changing. It is estimated that these filter elements will last 9-12 months replacements are low cost.

The Villages Florida

Notice the two pressure gauges!
So the question here is will a whole house filter “WHF” suffice to deliver the clean water you need or do you need a softener. IMO the whole house filter should be satisfactory for most homes at a low cost of not only initial purchase but replacement filters on an ongoing basis.

Lastly, if you decide to switch to a water softener after the getting a WHF it will work as a pre-filter removing sediments before the softener and the carbon can be used as a post filter to remove chlorine after the softener, so the investment in the WHF will not be wasted.

Just a note in any softener installation a carbon filter must be used to remove chlorine & other contaminates after the softener.

If you do nothing else get a whole house carbon filter for about $139.

The first shipment arrived of these great filters, I'll be installing one in my new home in the next few day and I'll post pics of the install.

If prefer to install the unit I'll give you complete instructions on how to do it.