View Single Post

Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

In the past few days I had a few questions about what a whole house filter “WHF” such as this can and cannot do.

I thought I would share with you that info.

The purpose of this 3 stage filter is to first remove sediment in your potable water this is designed to remove this in two stages a coarse grade and then a fine grade.

Sediment filters stages 1 & 2
How it works: Water that appears cloudy or turbid is caused by particulates (such as rust, sand, heavy metals, or clay) found in the water sediment filters that remove suspended solids, variously referred to as turbidity, sediment or particulate. Also
In general terms, filters of this type are sieving devices. They are like nets that catch and hold particles that are too large to pass through the holes in their surface. Our filter will remove particles as small as Talcum Powder, that’s very small.

Water softeners do not remove sediment!

Problem with typical residential filters is it’s hard almost impossible to know when to change them, too soon you’re wasting money, this unit has two pressure gauges measure the differential pressure to indicate when the cartridge needs replacement.
The Villages Florida
Next the water free of sediments is passed thru stage 3 the carbon filter bloc, having removed the sediment beforehand allows the carbon to effectively do what it should without clogging up with that sediment.
Just putting in a carbon filter alone isn’t nearly as effective.

Carbon filter stage 3
The carbon removes bad tastes and odors, including chlorine. Also can substantially reduce many hazardous contaminants, including heavy metals such as copper, lead and mercury; disinfection byproducts; parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium; pesticides; radon; and volatile organic chemicals such as methyl-tert-butyl ether (MTBE), dichlorobenzene and trichloroethylene (TCE).

The following lists of features are what combine to create the type of filter that will remove the widest range of possible contaminants in the drinking water:
• Mechanical straining: the block of carbon mechanically strains out dirt, sediment, rust, algae, bacteria, microscopic worms, cryptosporidia and asbestos.
• This is all accomplished by water pressure so no electricity is required.
• Chemical bonding: As explained earlier, activated carbon bonds to thousands of chemicals. In fact, carbon will bond to most chemicals known to man!
• Health-providing trace minerals like dissolved calcium and magnesium do not bond to carbon and are allowed to pass through, thereby retaining the health quality and good taste of the water.
• Prevention of bacterial growth: Bacteria are strained out and remain on the outside of the carbon block. Therefore, because of the density and lack of oxygen and space inside the block, bacteria cannot breed in the medium and come out in the finished water.

Water softeners do not remove sediment or chlorine.

I have used this system for very delicate aquarium fish & live corals that are more sensitive to water quality than we are, it works.

If you still fell you want to go further there are two additional choices.

I personally don’t believe you need either one.

A water softener, but understand that hard water itself is not harmful to us, but having the whole house filter installed with it allows the softener to work more effectively and allows the salts to last much longer.

Reverse Osmosis “RO” is not practical for the whole house but can be installed under the kitchen sink usually for drinking and cooking.

In the alternative you can buy Aquafina bottled water which is RO water.