View Single Post

Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Gomoho: Ask your insurance agent. There are several threads on here that also provide info. I will share my personal experience, for what ever it is worth. I bought a home in June of 2011 and live here part time and the rest of the time up north (Ohio) I bought a cart in June of 2012 , my insurance man in Ohio could not insure my cart. My insurance man for my home in the Villages told me it is not covered by my homeowners insurance. I checked with a lot of fellow Villagers and confirmed that most buy separate coverage for their carts. I insured the golf cart , went with comparable coverage to what other in TV do and it cost me about $120 per year.

My insurance agent told me my cart is not insured if I allow renters to use it. There are a bunch of old threads on here that tell you the same thing. The insurance companies have gotten more risk adverse as the Villages has grown. There are some folks that can allow renters to use their carts because their coverage was in place prior to the changes and they are grandfathered in. Or they do not know the risk or are willing to assume it.

I talked to my lawyer about having renters sign a waiver, he advised me wont hold up in court.

I store my cart when I rent my home, I worked hard my whole life to get to this point and do not want to lose it over a golf cart accident. I am by no means an expert but this is my experience and is based on what the experts have told me .

I hope this helps.

Mr. Grampy II
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" -Satchel Paige