View Single Post

Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I remember Lums from both Coconut Grove and the one in Satellite Beach. I lived almost right across A1A from Lums and used to go there all the time.
A blast from the past. In early 1970's we lived on Thrush Drive in a developement off of A1A.....on a canal. After exiting our developement, we'd turn right towards Melburne Beach???? To the left was Patrick Air Force Base....and further down was Cape Kennedy...

So, turn right for Lums which was on the beach side.....about five miles down....maybe less.

It's a long time ago. I've found a lot of "recipes" for hot dogs and brats steamed in beer but not the original LUMS recipe.....which I read various comments on how they put "sherry" in their kraut??? The beer steamed hot dogs came either with kraut or chili topping.

Here's one copycat recipe but I doubt if that hot dog brand is correct as I remember them being , as mentioned, more the 1/4 pounder size.

LUM'S BEER HOTDOG

1 can beer.

2 cans water (use empty beer can.)

1 teaspoon sugar.

1 teaspoon garlic powder.

1 teaspoon caraway seeds.

1/4 wedge of a fresh onion.

One Package, John Morrell's, New York Deli Brand, Beef Franks
or your favorite brand of all-beef hot dogs. Lums used a 1/4 pounder hotdog.

Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to a lowest heat and let stew for no less then15 minutes or longer for more intense flavor.

These are delicious to eat right out of the stewing pot or do them the Lums hotdog way; remove and grill slightly.

Serve on a Quality Hot Dog Bun.....with kraut or chili topping.

(ALSO, AT THE VOLUME LUMS SOLD, THEY DEFINITELY USED MORE THAN ONE CAN OF BEER; VARIOUS RECIPES STATED IT DIDN'T MATTER IF IT WAS CHEAP BEER OR PREMIUM BEER........most were using up leftover beer from cookouts or family reunions, etc.........to steam their hot dogs in.......

For the non hot dog and kraut eaters, I actually know a lot of oldtimers who lived into their 90's eating bratwurst, hot dogs and saurkraut.