View Single Post

Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

I would like to add that your doctor is not a machine and requires sleep, food & time in the toilet just as you do. No doctor is on duty 24/7. Often times there is another doctor who belongs within your doctor's practice who is "covering" your doctor. This is very standard practice. Doctors cover each other so that they can have a weekend off..see their family occasionally, go to church from time to time and so on. The nurse who told you that "she couldn't contact your doctor" was not trying to give you a hard time. They cannot simply dial up your doctor because you wish it. They must go through their charge nurse with that request. If your doctor is being "covered" then a phone call to the covering doctor will be made, and he/she must be located. G-Person is right..you were most likely signed out by a hospitalist acting under orders from your doctor or the covering doctor. Nurses cannot simply make up your discharge papers out of thin air ahead of time. They CANNOT write up the paperwork until whatever doctor officially discharges you actually does so. They then have to take down whatever orders the doctor issues and then do all of the paperwork which is quite lengthy. And...if they make a mistake on the orders it's on THEIR license & could cost them their jobs!

BTW..here's a helpful hint..Do Not bark at your nurse and order them to do things as if they were your servant. She/he is not. They are highly trained professionals and they deserve RESPECT at all times. They put up with more than enough BS in their 12 hour shifts and if you start barking, they start going deaf. Treat them kindly & with respect and you will get things to happen much..MUCH faster!