View Single Post

Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I'm not really sure how much progress we have made, if any. A lot of eating habits are based on emotions and tradition rather than science. And it's likely that our emotions have not changed much.

I eat a diet largely based on science and it's not uncommon for me to get ridiculed because of it, even though I enjoy it. But perhaps the ridiculing says more about the person doing the ridiculing than it says about me. I think it says that they are trying to defend some things about their diet that they know are wrong. (Not talking about you, just talking about people in general.)

What has changed for the better is science. People believe in science when it comes to getting bypass operations and such but they don't believe in science when it comes to diet. When it comes to diet, they cling to anecdotes. They cherry pick the anecdotes that prove their point.
Most people don't discuss their diet much with others, or their health habits either. We are indeed blessed in this country to be able to provide ourselves with choices in food. There are many who must survive on what they can find to keep body and soul together.

I don't think anyone would say much to you about your diet, VillagesPl if you weren't so ...um...excited about it.

I have learned that some people do NOT want to hear anymore about my grandchildren. I can just tell by their somewhat polite responses, their lack of enthusiasm and some just walk away.

Silly them.