View Single Post

Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I believe as soon as you connect a landline through companies like Comcast, companies can obtain immediate access to a new customes data base since they know there is a 30 day delay on the DO NOT CALL LIST, so they take advantage of the window of opportunity. They also know when you close on a home through public record and will cross reference your address, name and new #. It's called marketing and only you can control it by how you deal with the calls.
Another thing to keep in mind is to learn your homes mechanics. Meaning such things as your irrigation system and how to use it, your locks on your garage doors are a very common unknown by residents of The Villages. I always suggest to clients that they lock their garage doors if they are going away for a period of time. I have heard many residents say that one of their neighbors garage door openers, opens their door as well.
Bring a camera with you when searching for your new home. It can be overwhelming and by the end of the day, you won't remember what you saw or where it was. Also, take a camera to the design meeting.
If you are closing up your home for the summer and heading north, turn off your main water (as long as you don't need it to be on for a spa or pool, etc..), close your blinds so the sun does not heat up the home and cause your AC to run when not needed, turn your hot water heater off, no one is taking a shower ... hopefully.