Thread: Roundabouts
View Single Post

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Default Roundabouts

I am new to the Villages, but by no means new to roundabouts, having grown up in the UK. No doubt the roundabout issues have been well addressed before, but here is my 5c worth.

It is frustrating just how many people have no idea how to use the roundabouts. When used used properly, they are safe, maintain good traffic flow and do not generate frustration. From my recent experience, it seems that about 50% really know how they work, 25% are ok and slow down just to be sure, but the other 25% are either totally clueless or just don't give a damn.

I had a recent incident on Buena Vista Boulevard where I was going out on the second exit. I was in the left lane entering the roundabout and went to the inside lane, passed the first exit then signalled I was turning right to leave the roundabout. This was still keeping me in the left lane. As I was starting to turn. A person came straight through the yield sign into the outside lane narrowly missing the car next to me in the outside lane who was already in the roundabout. She then proceeded to cut accross right in front of me into the inside lane as I was making my turn to exit. Luckily I braked in time to avoid a collision. She stopped, I stopped and we exchanged words.

What gets me is that she said I didn't know what I was doing. I tried to explain the rules are that traffic in the roundabout have priority and that I was in the inside lane and exiting from the inside lane and signalled my intent. As well there was a car in the outside lane that she barely misssed hitting as when she ran the yield. She had ignored the yield sign, causing the car already in the roundabout to have to brake sharply, then she cut into my lane with no signal, all of which are no no's.

The day after, I saw a minor fender bender happen at another roundabout for almost exactly the same reason when a vehicle entered the outside lane then crossed immediately to the inside lane where he hit a vehicle already in the inside lane.

The other move I see a lot is where people enter into the outside lane, then move immediately to the inside lane, then exit by moving accross the meridian to the outside lane, with each move, they cut off traffic. Of course there those that travel all the way around in the outside lane instead of moving to the inside lane if they are passing mor than one exit.

I guess my point is....shouldn't TV have a course (only an hour of in car instruction) for those not familiar with roundabouts, so they can know how to negotiate these safely. This would be a great idea for someone to start classes in roundabout usage for those not familiar (at least I think it would).

Comments?