Thread: Roundabouts
View Single Post

Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray607 View Post
But why is it that it is such a problem in TV. I go to the UK and I don't see the issues at roundabouts that I see in TV. People in the UK had to go through a period of adjustment to using roundabouts since, as I recall, the mid or late 1960's, just like here and there are new drivers getting on the roads over there every day and they navigate them successfully.

The thing is, if people become educated to using them properly, most of the issues will improve, but granted there will still be some issues. Obviously the pamphlets haven't worked, that is why I believe, if people had proper in car instruction, most of the iussues with roundabouts would be mitigated. Otherwise, it is going to be status quo, accidents will continue to happen and people will continue to complain.
They are much more common in the UK, and that's why there are fewer problems. I'm 59 years old, and until we visited TV last December I had NEVER been on a roundabout before......and over the years I've lived and/or traveled around much of the U.S. Had never encountered one anywhere.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL