View Single Post

Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the big gulp is just one very small aspect of the obesity problem. The major problem is the amount of food, good/bad and junk that some keep jamming in their pie hole....along with being couch potatoes.....and no doubt the lack of needing to work to live by so many in the entitlement life style.

The big gulp issue is symbolic with no real impact to be made on the real reasons for our tonnage.

btk
I can't deny that you are right about it not solving the obesity epidemic but then I don't think the plan was that this measure would solve everything. I believe the intention is to nudge things in the right direction. And any improvement would put New York City in better shape fiscally. Taxes in New York City are already high. I think they pay state, city and federal taxes. Can you imagine what that must be like? So they can't just keep raising city taxes as the medical costs of the obesity epidemic keep climbing.

All the little steps they have taken may have an impact, believe it or not. They got rid of trans fat, smoking has gone down and soda may be next. It's a tough thing but when the ship is sinking, tough choices have to be made. It's a choice between lifestyle freedoms and the freedom to not be taxed to death (the freedom to keep some of the money you earn).