View Single Post

Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

I agree with all the personal freedoms we, as Americas, enjoy. Don't wear a helmut - no problem. Don't wear a seatbelt - no problem. Eat fatty, sugar-laced food and develop obesity-related diabetes - OK. All of these freedoms are GREAT but they come at a cost. Each American has inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. As a country, we have decided that no one goes hungry- that they should have shelter and they need to be cared for if ill. The best we can hope for at this juncture of what everyone is entitiled to are limits on how MUCH.
I suggest a "standard" by which people can "purchase" the lifestyle they choose to follow.
I am NOT an math or a financial expert but lets just use round numbers. Lets say each American is entitled to $10,000 of health care IN AN ACCOUNT every year. If you did not use it this year, it would roll over to next year. Any amount over that account balance would be paid by each individual. Therefore, you could make a lifestyle choice based on your account balance. This, however, would require that people save for unexpected medical expenses or go without care. The choice would be up to the individual. The use of $10,000 is arbitrary and could be $100,000 but the point is still the same. If you went to the emergency room versus your private doctor the difference would be paid out of your account. No judgements by anyone on how you should live your life or spend your account. If you "saved" your account for many, many years - the end-of-life expenses could be covered easily or with little cost to you.
The same goes for many of the current entitlements that Americans currently enjoy. Accounts for food, shelter, insurance, etc.
I believe EVERYONE has the right to live their life the way they choose. But I also believe in self responsibility. If you have a job, then you have more money to personally spend on the things in life. If you have no job, you have those accounts that you can do as you choose. The caveat here is that unless you have money stashed away - you will not GET MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE - so plan your life accordingly.

We used to be self-determining people...we need to get back to our roots. This is an idea of how to do that.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball