View Single Post

Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

First, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum.

I am by no means an expert here, but some observations. First, the "Best" palm trees is of course an opinion, so answers may vary. Personally I dislike the Queen palms. They are inexpensive so many landscapers put them in. They grow fast, so in a few years they are a constant maintenance cost to trim. Also, they have large seed pods that can fall.

The biggest mistake I commonly see when doing inspections is when they are planted too close to the house. The Palm branches then overhang and sometimes scrape against the siding and roof causing damage. Squirrels, rats, etc will climb up these and get onto your roof. Squirrels can damage your roof plumbing vents, etc. Keep all vegetation well away from your roof.

I think the best palms are those that are slow growing and do not get too tall. They should not be too messy, and be native to this area and of course be "cold hardy". I personally like a Pindo Palm.

Others wiser then I will of course advise you better as to their choices. You are smart to think about this BEFORE planting is done. Good luck and again, welcome!

Frank D'Angelo, ACI