View Single Post

Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Gold member
Default Fire at sanibel gate

We were driving towards the sanibel gate when we saw a lot of smoke in the distance. As we got closer to the gate we saw a fire in the planted area just in front of the guard building. I pulled thru and as I did,I saw the gate guard on the phone, I assume calling the FD. I pulled up a bit and stopped for a minute to see the fire rapidly spreading . As I was going for my cell ,a lady was already on her cell making a call. I sat there for a minute or two looking over at the FD across the street . Nothing was happening there. I would say a few minutes later ,the fire truck was heading down Morse to sanibel. I did not stay by gate as I did not want to get in the way of the Fire truck. If you drive by the gate you will see quite a large area was burned. Those pine needles really burn fast. It was good thing the wind was blowing east because Without a doubt the gard shack would have caught fire. When I came back later I was talking with a few others by the gate , and some one told them that they think the fire was started by a careless smoker who flipped out their cigarette while waiting their turn to get thru the gate. I thinking along those lines also. I mean , how could a fire get started there?