View Single Post

Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default Education time

The 2% figure is pretty much right on for those who do not claim Homestead Exemption. For those who do claim Homestead Exemption, I believe it to be even lower. Here's a quick education in how you can look this up. Go to Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800 - (Sumter County Property Appraisers website) and go to Record Search. Then put in a street name. Lets use Yankee Clipper. All the homes on Yankee Clipper will come up by address. Then click on the blue parcel ID # of any of them. You can then see how much the home was sold for and if they are claiming Homestead Exemption. After that (stay on the same page and on the top right you will see a smaller box which reads Retrieve Tax Record, click on that and remember what the home sold for. You will see how much they paid in taxes (listed under Ad Valorem Taxes), as well as the bond, maintenance and fire district (listed Non Advalorem Taxes).
Mine, as well as a few others I have searched is under that 2% quoted by our agent.
Hope this has helped!
And by the way JERSEYLADY, I used to own a home in Ocean City and Jersey has some of the highest taxes in the country.