View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Dairy contains calcium but it has not been proven to stregnthen bones or even maintain bones. And it certainly hasn't been proven to prevent osteoporosis.

If it could be proved to be good for bones, the dairy industry would make this claim on every dairy product in the supermarket. I suggest that you go to the suppermarket and see for yourself. If you can find any dairy product that says, "helps build (or maintain) strong bones", let me know.
My mom passed at age 91; she walked with the speed of a teenager as many of her peers noted........up to close to the "end".....which was end stage Alzheimers.

Her entire life, she practically lived on YOGHURT and MILK.......was always thin and petite.

Her doctor, a neighbor of ours, who had administered a full physical at about age 89 (at the hospital after she had been put on *Aricept for her Alzheimers, which is another story, having nothing to do with strong bones).......

*One of the side effects of Aricept is dizziness when standing up, loss of appetite, etc........that's what she was being tested for.....(the dizziness upon standing)....with various hospital tests.......

Her doctor said that for her age, she had excellent LUNGS, BONES, HEART, and general overall good health.......he was an internist and a neighbor of ours.....so he called me after the battery of tests was completed. I knew her bones were strong.

Her geriatric doctor echoed the same thing. Just her short term memory was failing........as we all knew.

Also, throughout her life, well into her late 80's.....she walked all over without a cane, walking device or anything..........and often mentioned she had fallen on the ice or snow.

Never broke a single bone in her life.
Never had a hip replacement or knee replacement.

Again, she lived on YOGHURT and milk from childhood and all through her adult life............ate a lot of dairy on a daily basis.

I've read of Russians, Georgians, etc. and other such ethnic groups who also lived long lives eating dairy products............milk and yoghurt, cheeses, etc.

My Italian grandmother also lived to 95 and ate cheeses her entire life; was able to walk up and down five flights of steps in her apartment building until age 90......and walked down the street to attend daily morning mass, again up to age 90....with no cane or walker.

After that, the priest came to her and she died at 95 with all her "marbles". She never got Alzheimers........Italians sure eat their share of ricotta cheese and mozarella..........dairy.

I know you consider these "anecdotes" but they are TRUE FACTS.

I think each person should be looked at individually; also look back at their family history..........as far as whether dairy is good or not.

I wouldn't put so much stock in the dairy "industry" as far as their marketing and advertising. Do your own personal survey on how many people eat dairy and how many have strong bones well into their elder years.