View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
I'm also a NH native, and I think the first time I had anything other than home baked beans, hot dogs, and the brown bread you described for Saturday night supper was when I went to college! My folks made it interesting by sometimes using navy (pea) beans and sometimes using yellow eye beans for variety, but other than that, exactly the same. My wife Sue still makes home baked beans using the same recipe from time to time, and so does our daughter! Yesterday, on Sue's birthday, our son called from NYC, and he was all excited because our daughter, who also is in NYC, had just stopped by to drop something off for him, and she brought him some of the beans she had made the day before using, as he put it, "Gram's Recipe"! So the tradition of the greatness of home made baked beans continues with new generations and even outside New England!
The young woman and her dad were born in Vermont, however, the grandmother and grandfather were born in Quebec, Canada......the other families I mentioned were from Glens Falls, New York and also Vermonters as well did the Saturday night baked beans tradition......

The young friend's dad is actually a neighbor of ours......and he'd rather have his mom's homestyle cooking than a lobster dinner. It truly brought tears to his eyes that his daughter would follow the grandma's recipe for his visit.

So often we wrack our brains to think of something "different" to prepare for guests.......when in reality, they'd much prefer simple home cooking, from their childhoods.

Another neighbor of mine, whose daughter was married to an Air Force General, would tell me that when they'd come to visit, his request was for her simple spaghetti and meatballs for supper..........ditto for his son who was also an Air Force pilot.......like the dad.

Sometimes all this "yuppie food" gets old .

Everyone has a "Gram's Recipe". Thanks for sharing...........