View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Default What Makes a Good Golf Lesson

Just had a golf lesson today. Over the past five years, this is the third person I have taken a lesson from and he was by far the best!

The first person was disappointing in that he felt I hit the ball well and did not want to make any changes in my swing! Not true! I rarely took a divot with my irons and usually had a fade with the driver. Let's face it, with golf there is always room for improvement.

The second teacher did identify some of my problems, mainly not getting to the left side soon enough. The problem was he did not give me any drills to practice in order to make changes. If I could change my muscles as fast as I can change my mind, I would improve instantly. Unfortunately, my muscles needs lots of practice to change their old bad habits.

The third teacher I worked with today was able to quickly see the main faults in my swing. He also explained how this effected the flight of the ball and the lack of consistency I was experiencing. The most important thing for me was that he gave me several drills to practice that would help improve my swing. As a former high school math teacher, I give Dave Clark, at the Buffalo Ridge Range behind Walmart, a high grade for effective instruction. The first two weaker instructors helped me appreciate now what constitutes a good lesson.

Last edited by charlie49; 03-18-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling