View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
That mule is a beauty, wish they were available up here in Alabama. Is the palm, 3rd from right in second pic, a mule also......or a pindo? Can't tell for sure.
we like the mule a lot also.
without looking it must be the pindo, I only have one mule

Quote:
When we finally move to TV I won't hesitate to plant anything on your list, but there are a few that will be marginally hardy & show some damage in the mid 20s or so depending on the duration of the cold, especially the Bismarckia nobilis & Rhapis multifida.
The Bismark should take low to mid 20's danger is if it continues over 12-18 hours, not likely here only twice it hit 23 in 15 years and it wasn't for a lot of hours.
They can do well with incandescent Christmas lites if it gets touchy, but when established should be fine saw reports to 18 without damage.

The Rhapis can take 20 in the right location, but I'll keep an eye on 'em anyway.

There are several winterizing methods if an odd front comes thru and I don't mean thro a sheet over em

Quote:
A couple more words of advice (in case you don't already know): don't plant the Rhapis or Chamaedorea microspadix in direct sun. They are definitely shade/filtered sun lovers.
they can be ok under canopies or behind another, but C. Micro can take a few hours direct I was told by the grower.

I have 3-4 others to track down later on, but this should be a good start.