View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

About 4:00 this afternoon I was in my cart at a stop sign waiting to cross St. Charles westbound. Two bicyclist were headed north on St. Charles and moved from the cart lane to the car lane to make a westbound left turn at my intersection. The bicyclist looked to be a father in his 30's and a son about age 10 on a bicycle that was way too big for him. They stopped for oncoming southbound traffic, well at least the father stopped. The son appeared to not want to stop and put his feet down, maybe because the bike was way too big. Instead the boy veered to his right back into the golf cart lane where a northbound EZGO cart going about 20mph had to make a drastic move over the curb and up onto the sidewalk. Fortunately no one was on the sidewalk, the boy startled by the cart suddenly swerved back toward the center of the street crossing the yellow line causing a southbound SUV to slam on his brakes.

The father sitting on his bike still in the middle of the road, tried to grab his kid twice as he rode by and I sitting in my cart about 30' away as a helpless bystander, yelled out 'Stop'. The boy finally realized all was not well as his father grabbed the handlebars of his bike. Just another day at the intersection of Tamarind Grove Blvd and St. Charles, the site of numerous accidents and a fatality in June 2011.