View Single Post

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
As someone who was born & lived a good deal of his time in upstate NY, we are sort of born with a gene that tends to make us automatically dislike NYC for a variety of reasons.

I do occasionally like to visit large cities, but I wouldn't EVER want to live in one. My parent's house was in the country & had 10 acres. My first house was a small farm with 40 acres. I'd always prefer to live where I don't see my neighbor by looking out the kitchen window, but I know plenty of people who would HATE that lifestyle.

However..comparing NYC to The Villages doesn't work. They are 2 entirely different lifestyles. Almost nobody comes to TV for any other reason but to retire. I doubt too many people move to NYC to retire.

If you leave out the Nanny McBloomberg question, virtually ANY community has various sorts of laws & restrictions that apply to life there. Some communities have more some have less.

In many ways where you live depends on what you want in your life. Comparing NYC to TV is comparing Apples to Onions.
I can relate to your post. Having "seen it all" as we were born and raised in New Jersey but would visit my dad's relatives in New York City.
Then, as teenagers, we'd go on a "date" to a show or restaurant in New York City, but if truth be told.........more commonly we'd go for a Sunday ride looking for the "country roads" in N.J.........we were more country mice than city mice. Preferred farmlands and wooded forests to Central Park.

At age 25 we made the decision to relocate with our two year old daughter to rural Vermont........where we've raised our family for the past 43 years.

Our relatives in New Jersey told us we didn't live in "THE REAL WORLD".
I guess not. We returned down there less and less, over the years.

We could have lived anywhere, yet we chose a "country area"......

The Villages greatly impressed us as being very "GREEN" for Florida.....very picturesque , neat and orderly. Perfect for retirement.

No pot holes and no frost heaves sealed the deal.......especially after this past winter........our "lack of sunshine" up here certainly made Florida's perpetual sunshine much more inviting........

Upstate New York is beautiful..........Vermont's great neighbor to the west.

p.s. I can also relate to someone else's post on "condo rules and regulations" from first hand experience. Nothing can be as bad as the rules in the condo we owned on the Gulf of Mexico beachfront in Venice, Florida..........unbelievable Homeowner's Group.....very set in their ways, very rigid rules and bylaws. We didn't want to rock the boat, just wanted to add a stackable washer and dryer in our condo unit while we were totally remodeling the place.......so as not to have to go to the "laundry rooms" which were on every other floor (via elevator).........was so glad to get back to our house in Vermont with my own washer and dryer. It's the little things one appreciates.......after condo living. It came out beautiful.......gorgeous condo, gorgeous view.........but it didn't feel like home. Vermont has very few rules and regulations...at least not for homeowners in neighborhoods. Each man's home is his castle.........as it should be.