View Single Post

Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
to quote Tal:

"Does not look like any of my alma maters will be in this year: Nevada (UNR), Denver, Minnesota, and BYU. Just went to BYU for a week or so and that was to the law school so never did see any BYU Sports but they sure were the most gung-ho school as far as sports are concerned I attended. The College of San Mateo does not have a basketball team as far as I know. One of the other schools I attended."

I was at a youth sports seminar at Stanford one summer for 4 days and 3 nights - lived in the dorms, ate in the dining facilities and attended classes in the class rooms taught by Stanford instructors (cost our youth soccer league $2000 per attendee). Does that make me a Stanford alum?
Probably not. I attended BYU for those seven days or so but this did prevent me from taking any classes somewhere else at the same time. I had a long term commitment at BYU Law School. On the other hand, I went to a American Library Association convention in Dallas in 1984 and spent three or four days at the Texas Christian University. Sleeping at their dorms. This was a cheap way of getting to the convention for a recent MA Graduate from Denver University. Really had little or no commitment to TCU other than a short term rental agreement.