Thread: Pope Francis
View Single Post

Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Sage
Default The mystery and beauty of the Latin Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The choice of Pope is always political and reflects the thinking of the hierarcy. The pope has an 84% approval rating but wait................

Pope Francis can continue his humility tour but the day is arriving shortly where the opposing factions in the church will collide and when it does watch out.

I am a nominal Catholic for many reasons others fall back. However, I do not condem the church anymore so concerning the sexual scandals than I do schools, work places, etc. For whatever reason(s) all of these establishments tried to hide abuses. so I find fault equally with all of them.

My preference would be to return to the traditional church but that is not going to happen. I miss the Latin mass. I always hated the so called "rock masses"

Like you, I also remember the beauty and mystery of the Latin mass.

In 1965, we were among the first to be married in an English mass and then in 1968 our first child was baptized with the priest speaking in English.

The Godparents were shocked.

They were Catholics who had attended Catholic schools but didn't like what the "ceremony" translated to......in the English language.

I guess although none of us ever understood what was being said in our childhood and teens......(Latin) unless one studied Latin.......it was the mystery of it all......the beautiful music, etc.

I never cared for the modern folk masses either........but we took our kids to church every Sunday.........

When my mom passed, we buried her from her old Greek Catholic, now called Byzantine or Eastern Rite......their service was so beautiful, it literally transported one to another place........it was the chanting of the Orthodox monks and priest, nuns, etc...........it just felt "holy". She was back where she belonged. She had loved both the Greek and the Roman Catholic churches but raised us in our dad's church.

I think I know why my Italian grandmother went to mass every morning back in the 1890's and beyond until age 90.....at the old Saint Patrick's Cathedral.......and also the church of Our Lady of Loreto.......with all the kids at home, it must have been a nice change, a peaceful oasis........the beautiful music, the lit candles, the flowers, etc........and the peace and quiet to meditate and pray.

Ditto for my Ukrainian grandmother who would often go to her Greek Catholic Church and would take me with her.........and my mom as well.

Nowadays, so many churches lock their doors and are closed.
When we traveled, we would always stop......not too many churches are open anymore. When we were little girls, we'd all walk back down to the church on a Sunday afternoon to light candles........or do the Stations of the Cross..........it was convenient and always open .......

Anyway, I know exactly what you mean...........the end of an era for sure.