View Single Post

Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
To most of us, "whole grain" means that a physical process--like crushing or grinding--has not removed any of the nutrients contained in the entire grain seed.

"Following is the official definition of whole grains, approved and endorsed by the Whole Grains Council in May 2004:

Whole grains or foods made from them contain all the essential parts and naturally-occurring nutrients of the entire grain seed. If the grain has been processed (e.g., cracked, crushed, rolled, extruded, and/or cooked), the food product should deliver approximately the same rich balance of nutrients that are found in the original grain seed.

This definition means that 100% of the original kernel – all of the bran, germ, and endosperm – must be present to qualify as a whole grain."

Definition of Whole Grains | The Whole Grains Council
Your post was not necessary because I mentioned that in my opening post. If you will go back and reread it you will find it. I said that by law they can call it "whole grain" because nothing has been removed. So grinding is not a question of losing nutrition. Did my opening post say anything about losing nutrition? No.

The main point of the whole thread that you missed was the way in which flour-based products get absorbed into your system. They get absorbed faster and thereby are likely to raise blood sugar and insulin. This in turn can bring on a whole host of health issues.