View Single Post

Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Eternal Member

Let's be clear...the causes and cures for obesity are many. For some the genetic factor is so strong - a diet well under 1000 calories/day is the only option (short of surgery)...think that's doable 24/7/365 for the rest of your life...try it...I managed it for 3 years...then I just couldn't.

For others a moderate decrease in calories and increase in activity will produce the desired weight loss.

The problem with many of these posts and the CVS policy is that it assumes everyone falls into something closer to the second catagory.

It is in the diet industry's interest, and even the medical industry (docs, too) to assume the latter category will provide the fix. Why? Well, for the diet industry - the motive is profit. For the medical industry - it is in everyone's interest to try the least invasive option, first. If behavior modification works everyone wins.

Unfortunately, recent studies show very mixed/bad outcomes with just behavior modification. This is a report on a recent study out of Britian: Only one in 100 dieters keeps the weight off | Mail Online

What is clear here is that ignorance and prejudice are in no short supply and the unfortunate thing is that dumb opinions first manifest in corporate policy and then insidiously work their way into public policy. This de-evolution of our culture is a sad thing but as Forest Gump said - "Stupid is as Stupid Does."

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson