View Single Post

Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Default Preserving Family Letters

I have a hugh collection of family letters that are absolutely fascinating - at least to me.

I have letters from my grandparents to each other during World War I and from my parents to each other dujring World War II. I also have letters written by my great grandparents. There are also letters from my parents to each other when they were engaged. The real significance of these letters is that they document the "before" and "after" of a terrible family tragedy. One month before my parents were married, my mother and grandmother were driving back to Louisiana from a visit in Virginia. There was an automobile accident and my grandmother was killed.

There are also letters from my South American cousins as I had a great uncle who went to South America and married a woman from France. Their children and grandchildren are still there.

Anyway - what I am getting at is that I want to scan these letters, put them on a cd and somehow preserve the actual letters for future generations.

I am a retired reference librarian and ought to know how to do this, but I was just wondering if any of you have suggestions about preserving and organizing these letters.

As an aside - after I finish the letters, I will start on family pictures. I have boxes and boxes, some of which are 100 years old. I will then start on family genealogical documents.

(Oh my - I hope I live long enough to finish these projects.)