View Single Post

Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Your rotors can use different size gph nozzles.
I place a half dozen shallow cans around each zone.
Then adjust the time needed, to fill them 1/2-3/4" per watering.
The help section on this site has lots of info:
Sprinkler System Supply, Drip Irrigation and Fertilizer Systems for Lawn and Garden
This is excellent advice. No two lawns or systems are the same. I have a collection of tuna fish cans I use to test my zones and water usage and set my minutes per zone by how long it takes to fill those level cans 1/2" to 3/4". As NoMoSno wisely stated, rotors could be set with different nozzles, water pressures vary during the day, etc.

I many times see heads not adjusted properly, or one head broken, thus robbing the other heads on that zone the proper pressure and thus flow. Folks set their systems to come on in the dead of night, so they never even know if they have problems until part of their lawn starts to die or flood. I suggest running them in the early morning or around dusk when you or neighbors can notice if you have a problem.

Folks need to understand that sprinkler systems are a constant maintenance challenge that needs to be checked regularly. The good news is that if one wants to learn more about them most all repairs on the heads, etc, can be done at a very low cost yourself....it is not that difficult. The irrigation companies can sometimes charge a small fortune for an easy repair.

It is also correct that your plant beds need less water then most lawns. Some folks also make the costly mistake to underwater to save money, only to kill their lawn and pay big bucks to re-sod.

Frank D'Angelo , ACI