View Single Post

Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe View Post
My husband Joe and I moved here in November 2010. We sold our house up north and we bought a house in The Villages. It was hard leaving the family up north, 4 daughters and their families (12 grandchildren) but we had each other and we loved it here. 15 months later my beloved Joe passed away at the age of 67. It is certainly a different ballgame for me now. Even though I am coping much better now, a year has gone by, I miss Joe very much and I am lonely. The Villages is a great place to live and it has so many activities and clubs for everyone. I have joined many groups, have done lots of activities, met some wonderful people, but I have the pull of my family and friends up north. And believe me, I do not like that cold, snowy weather. I know my children are living very hectic lives and a lot of our friends are retiring now or getting ready to retire and they are moving here and there. I certainly do not want to be a burden to anyone. I am a young 66, I have my health, and I certainly am not ready to throw in the towel. I am definitely at a crossroads but I am thinking clearer now and, with the help of God, I will make the right decisions. But I do not think there is a pat answer to what is best for us. Everyone is different, and everyone has different likes and dislikes, wants and needs.
I have a similar situation though a bit backwards. I lost my husband at 55, continued to work full time "up north" and to care for my Mother who had a form of dementia. Two years ago I lost my Mom, and had only my stepdaughter to help me thru (as far as family). I do, however, have a network of very close friends! But at some point I realized I was stagnant, missing out on living life the way I would wish, and decided to make the move here to TV. I must admit, it was the BEST decision for me. I built a home in a wonderful neighborhood, moved in this past December and am once again full of life and enjoying day to day activities! What a difference it has made for me to be here amongst so many happy and active people and I awaken every morning with a smile and a good morning in my heart!
I carry long term health care and am comforted knowing I can have someone care for me in my home if need be. They are building assisted living facilities right here, as well as a memory care center. I know I will be fine right where I am and live each day as it comes, happy to be exactly where I am. Each of us is different in our wants and needs and must make the best decision for ourselves, no matter the sage advice of others. Do what will make you happiest and all will be well with the world.

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be