View Single Post

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
But as I discussed in my previous post, if everyone was to jump into their bathtub and hide under a mattress every time our weather radio gave us a warning, we'd spend most of our lives remaking our beds.

The fact is that we have had one tornado hit TV in the last 50 years. I know that it did severe damage in a small area and scare the living daylights out of the people that experienced it. But the reality is that they very seldom hit. I'd love to know the ration of how many tornadoes actually touch down to the number of warning given.
I suspect you mean that your weather radio gave you an "alert", rather than a "warning". I also wonder how broad of an area you have it set for if you received so many alerts. I have mine set for Sumter County only and I only received a couple of alerts on Saturday. They were for severe thunderstorms with the possibility of hail. I don’t believe there was any mention of tornados. There is a difference between a watch and a warning. A watch indicates that conditions are right for the development of tornados. A warning indicates that one or more tornados have already touched down. Before I moved to TV we had a tornado warning in the area I was living. After hearing the warning, I collected my battery operated radio and tuned into local channels. As it was moving along, the local news was giving fairly accurate locations (just a few blocks from my home). When they started repeating “take cover now, take cover now, take cover now”...I was in the bathtub. The smallest mattress in the house was a queen size, so I didn’t take a mattress, but I did grab as many pillows as I could carry. Fortunately the tornado did not hit my house, but it did do a lot of damage nearby. So to answer your question, if the weather radio gave a tornado warning for the county you live in, no I wouldn’t necessarily run for cover at that point. But I would be ready to run for cover and I would tune into the local news and pay close attention to their reports. In my opinion, the weather radio is most useful at night when you are sleeping and wouldn’t otherwise get a warning or be able to observe the way the sky looked.