View Single Post

Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I believe that if we all ate more vegetables and fruit and less meat and fat, we could enjoy some carbohydrates.

Some of the things that our moms did to stretch the meals when some of us were small are still good nutritional practices; things like vegetable soup and adding beans to things and making cassaroles with not too much meat. And fruit in our lunch boxes. Didn't have money for pop. (soda) or much candy either. And we ran and walked and rode our bikes everywhere. It was safer to do so.

In following the above link, I found this one too. Seems like this young woman has spent a lot of time debunking The China Study; The China Study: Fact or Fallacy? | Raw Food SOS
I read some of the debunking and she questioned something that I questioned from the beginning. I read and reread parts of "The China Study" thinking that I had missed something. It was about milk "casein". In his animal studies he kept using milk "casein" and formed conclusions based on that alone, or so it seemed. Although, in her debunking, she later says that he did use some other forms of animal protein but didn't elaborate on the results.

I agree with her that that was a weakness in his presentation. I never thought it was a perfect book but I think he gets enough right to make it very worthwhile. For example, if you were to read all that he says about dairy, there's enough about dairy, besides the possibility of cancer promotion, to make you want to stop consuming dairy. For one thing, dairy hasn't been proved to build strong bones. Also, why try to get calcium and protein from a dairy source when it contains no fiber or other plant nutrients?