View Single Post

Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Sage
Question The "die" in dietitian = the death of absolutes

I'm noticing more and more that dietitians are little more than mediators between the theoretical "best" diet and the theoretical "worst" diet. There is no right and wrong anymore. And it appears as though this is what we got on the front page of yesterday's Daily Sun Lifestyle section. Headline: "Think before you drink, empty calories often lurk in popular beverages." (3-26-13)

In this article they stated that the average American consumes 22.2 teaspoons of sugar per day. (That's 355 calories.) Now, you'd think the advice would be to not consume ANY refined sugar. If sugar is bad for your health, stop eating it altogether, right? No, that would be too easy, too logical and absolute. No, we can't have that, we must 1) be open minded 2) non-judgemental and 3) keep sugar addiction alive and well. It's the new relativism of the diet world.

Therefore, we got the following advice: The average American woman should not exceed 6 teaspoons of sugar per day and the average man should not exceed 9.

Also, after reading all the recommendations, one might almost get the impression that it's okay to drink all of one's nutrients: There's low-fat milk for protein, calcium and vitamin D, 100% vegetable juice, limited amounts of fruit juice, chocolate milk, sports drinks, diet soda, coffee, tea and alcohol. Phew!

In trying to mediate between the "best" and "worst" dietary practices, they thereby seek to manage our health demise. (i.e., stave off disease and death by eating less junk.)

One good thing: At least they didn't say that milk builds strong bones. If the dairy industry can't convince the FDA of that, I don't think USF will be able to either. But USF can and does say it legally through an extension agent, whereas the dairy industry can't say it themselves.

My opinion: For part of the reason why USF dietitions recommend what they do, follow the money (i.e., possible research money from the food industry). Can USF make the claim that they don't get any money from the food industry? And, if they do, can they make dietary recommendations without being inflluenced my money?

If they do get money from the food industry, do you think we should know about it? Or do you think it's none of our business?