View Single Post

Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Default 25 Ways to know if you are a true Floridian

Native Floridian here. I can remember when RT 301 was THE highway that you used to go north and south in Florida (no interstates). Took many trips in the 50s between Tampa and Jacksonville on Rt 301 and Dad always stopped for huge cheeseburgers in Wildwood. I believe it was that little restaurant on 301 that is still there in Wildwood. Back in those days it was just us poor rednecks who lived in this state. Few snowbirds, no money, separate black and white schools, no air conditioning, bicycles came from parts found at the dump, Gators were still the favorite team but games were only on radio, everybody went to church, no Disney, Silver Springs was THE attraction for tourists, WAPE was the new rock and roll station in Orange Park and a "tool of the devil", you could support your family with a 9th grade education, not much crime, no one knew the sun was bad for you, we bleached our hair with peroxide to be cool, penny loafers and white levis were worn, no shorts were allowed in church, we played outside in the woods with the snakes, all the girls were crazy for the Beatles, my wife and I started going together when she was 10 and I was 13 and that was not that unusual although we were not allowed to display public affection such as holding hands or kissing. It was a simpler time.

FYI, Micanopy was named after some old male Villagers with prostate problems (Me Can No Pee).