View Single Post

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmcc View Post
Actually, we've never lived near live oaks before. Our realtor did not point out the downside. We were just awed by the view
We have a water oak on the cul-de-sac side and a live oak on the golf course side. Like you, we were hypnotized by the beauty of the trees and dreamed of the shade they would provide with cool breezes blowing through.

Boy, we were sadly mistaken. We've been fighting the trees for nearly four years now. I'd gladly give up the shade along with the continuous dropping leaves, the acorns, the feathery crap falling now, the whirly gig things that will come later, the 42 squirrels, the roots that mess up the driveway and irrigation system (which requires annual repairs), the pollen, the Spanish moss, the falling branches...the leaf falling never ends. It does slow down for about three months.

Other than that I love those trees. Even though I have about 400 new oaks starting under my oaks now from the acorns, they are protected by law and it takes an act of Congress to cut one down.

I've heard copper nails, water it with lots of salt and other remedies. Just haven't tried any of those yet. LOL Good luck.