View Single Post

Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Sage
Default My carts

If I was in the market today, I would also be looking at used EZGO/AC and researching the Yamaha electric with room for 8-6v batteries.....but alas I am not, so...

Whenever I am in a conversation like this, the first thing I point out is the word best is very subjective. Best for what?

For my wife and I, we wanted:
  • two carts and they had to be electric.
  • Cost. We wanted two carts, there was no way in heck, I would drop 8-12K on a cart. For goodness sake, it is just a golf cart
  • Next I knew that a golf cart is not a car, there are not that many moving parts and even a guy like me could fix a used one. Show me a car that skips during acceleration and I may take 45 minutes to get the hood open, but on an electric cart I could probably isolate the issue with help from Internet experts.
  • It had to have 6-8V batteries minimum, the battery pack configuration had to go 30 miles minimum range per charge for 3 years.
  • Parts availability.

That led me into the used market. For us the best carts are two 2002 Club Car DS models, one has 6-8V and one has 8-6V packs. A cart like this costs around $1800 - $2500 in a private sale. These carts meet my minimum requirements for range which is Mallory to Lopez for golf and back through Spanish Springs for a bite. When I get home, I know I have charge left for more miles, but if I want to go somewhere, I take the second cart, that is how I get 80 miles per day

The other thing I love about Club Car is the availability of parts. Since I fix my own, this mattered. To be clear, I cannot think of the last time I had an issue, they just run. I found Par Car was very difficult to get parts for when compared to other brands.

What is not best about my carts?
  • These carts will slow down going uphill. In the hills of Malory (Odell) there are some tough hills. One cart will slow to 16MPH. EZGO/AC drive will not slow down, so if going up a hill without slowing is high on your list, you do not want a stock Club Car. There were no EZGO AC used carts available yet when I bought, maybe in 2016 if I am around.
  • My carts are not spanking new, so you may need to tweak stuff like the steering or brakes. Easy peasy DIY or relatively in expensive to have someone do it…..
  • Since I bought used, I needed to understand enough about carts to buy one in a private sale. I was amazed at the carts people tried to sell.

GOOD LUCK!