Thread: Dog friendly
View Single Post

Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Steelers View Post
I am considering a move to The Villages. Are people dog friendly? We are compulsive about playing with our pet & walking her as she is a very important part of our family. However if her chasing the ball in our driveway or urinating on someones grass as we walk (do do is picked up immediately) then maybe this isn't the place for us plus the Villages do not allow fences. What have other dog owners' experienced?
This is one of the few retirement communities in Florida that allow two dogs per household with no size restrictions. For that reason, there are many, many, many dogs in TV, which is known to be a pet friendly community. Dogs are allowed at the town squares. We rarely take our dogs to the Squares, because of the crowds. But if we do, people line up to talk to our dogs and pat them. Many seniors don't have pets any more, but love to see them and cuddle them.

If you don't want a fenced Courtyard Villa, I suggest you consider Invisible Fencing from Dog Watch in Ocala. I'm suggesting that company because they do a great job assisting with training.

Of course, not all Villagers are pet lovers. It's up to those of us with dogs to make sure we are clean, respectful and responsible. Please keep your dog(s) leashed at all times when off your property. NEVER let your dog pee on anyone's lawn. ALWAYS pick up after your pet.

There are several dog clubs to join, and a few small dog parks provided by The Villages which are golf cart accessible. We take our dogs daily to a private dog park which costs $1 a day for two dogs, which we consider a bargain. The dogs get to run free on ten fenced acres and play. And it's a great way to make new friends and talk to other dog lovers.