View Single Post

Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginmato View Post
We are contemplating moving to the Villages but as time gets closer, I am more and more hesitant. Economically, it's probably a better move. We live in CT, the " tax me to death" state and I think our money will go farther in Florida. I don't want to leave my family and my home. I love my kids and cant stand the thought of them being so far away. But I am afraid, financially, we won't survive here and this climate requires too much time and energy to maintain our home, especially as we grow older. The whole thought is just so scary and depressing.
If you're concerned about your finances getting exhausted too soon in CT, this means you're more likely to become dependent on your kids financially and/or in housing etc. I consider it a blessing and a huge gift that both our sets of parents downsized and situated themselves so they would not become a "burden" on us. We don't consider it a "burden", but it's great to see them thinking past themselves and they're being selfless.

Of course we would help them if it comes to that. But we are thankful they realize we have our own lives and that we're finally free to travel and enjoy life now that we've finished paying for our kids' college etc.