View Single Post

Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
if one has a choice to retain most of the teeth then they should do just that.
Dentures may be a percieved less expensive solution but there are other consequences that come with no teeth.

The most significant is when there are no roots from teeth in the jawbone, it begings to deteriorate and shrink in size. This results can be a jaw bone so thin enough to eventually require jaw bone repair......major reconstruction surgery. And most of it is not covered by medicare.

If you have the ooportunity to retain most of your teeth and have implants put in to retain bridges, that is one of the best solutions as implants in the jaw bone have the same effect as thr root of a tooth.

We have been through the jaw bone deterioration experience with a family member. The reconstruction surgery is a MAJOR event.

Most dental care providers will (or should) advise against removing healthy teeth.

All the above is based on my opening few words.....if one has a choice.

btk
I totally agree. Even when a person has dentures there may be the need for implants. As you stated, the recession of bone can cause the denture to not fit and I have seen cases in which there was almost no lower bone at all...when you look at an impression it is almost completely flat. This is when the dentist may recommend 'mini' implants which will attach to the lower denture and allow a much better bite. We had a distant relative that drove 200 miles to see Steve because the lower denture he had would not stay in and he couldn't eat and his current dentist couldn't help. Steve put in two implants with attachments and we received a call a few months later telling us that he was eating corn on the cob and apples. He was so happy...by the way, he was 85 at the time. If you have a good dentist, listen to what they have to say. If you don't trust them, get a second opinion.