Thread: A nice gesture
View Single Post

Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Hopefully the cars you mentioned that were backed up did not have their fannies hanging out into oncoming traffic.
I like considerate people as much as the next fellow does, but the traffic coming off a roadway should not be stopped to let golf cars pass.

Seeing this type of thing confuses those not familiar with gate or roundabout safety (rules of thumb) and they sometimes end up trying to be nice, but causing a hazard.
SO, I humbly post this note to TV auto drivers:

Please:
If I am crossing in my golf car where there is no gate arm..... your moving auto ALWAYS has the right of way. I am prepared to wait my turn.
DON'T hesitate and wave me to cross! (especially when you aren't using your rear view mirror and don't know what your action may trigger behind you!)

When your auto IS at a gate with an arm, and the arm goes up... PROCEED through. You have the right of way.
DO NOT hesitate or stop and wave at my golf car to pass in front of you.. the car(s) behind you are not prepared.
You may be trying to be nice, but it's a bad habit to get into. If you want to be nice, keep both you and I and cars behind you safe.

If I have to wait in a caravan of golf cars before I can cross, SO BE IT.
Being aware and following the proper etiquette is safer, more considerate to all and will provide the best opportunity to teach others by demonstrating the correct way to do this.
Thanks, everyone.
Right on- I usually sit back 10 or 12 feet on the path when crossing or turning onto a road. I refuse offers to pull out.