View Single Post

Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyC View Post
I think that is not a rational way to look at it, with all do respect.
I am a Painting Contractor, and I always receive a deposit to schedule work.
Without a deposit, I could go out and buy tinted, NON returnable paint, send a crew to the home, and ? What if they found someone "cheaper" and "forgot" to tell me? Forgot the appointment? Or worst case, just decide not to pay...it happens.
I am now out the cost of product, man hours, fuel. etc....

Now, BEFORE everyone jumps all over me, I do NOT approach people to do work for them. They contact me, at my business phone, and are usually referred by a satisfied friend or family member.

In the contractor world, we call these door knockers "gypsies"
It is common here with "college" painting companies, and asphalt (driveway) coatings.

I agree, NEVER hire anyone on the spot that is door knocking for business!
With regard to the "gypsies" you mention, we have the same thing up north with the "tree guys" who will drive around neighborhoods and then ring your doorbell to tell you that your tree needs to come down.......drill a hole into the tree and tell you that something is eating away at it (duh, sawdust).........some trusting folks fall for it and what a mess these "tree surgeons" do make...........while most know to just use their regular guys whom they've known since childhood, along with their families.

Thanks for the advice. Many posters on Talk of the Villages have listed all of the various contractors and landscapers, etc., etc. that they have had good results with.

Stay away from the ones who ring your doorbell looking for work, would be my advice, no matter where you live.................

Stick with ones your neighbors have used and that you can literally SEE the results.