View Single Post

Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
I rarely, if ever, pay any sort of deposit upfront for work to be done on my home. This includes big jobs. Although the agreement for large jobs may include a clause for payment at certain stages of completion.

Is that typical in TV... for home repair and maintenance companies to ask for pre-payment?
It does sound like it is typical. One fellow explained that if he has to order specialty items for the job......and then they neglect to tell him they are going with someone else........he's stuck with the "stuff" for their job.

I can see both sides of this story.

Up here, in all our 43 years, we have NEVER signed a contract nor paid in advance for any work done..........but that's just how Vermont is. You know your contractors, in all the trades.

Even in my husband's store, he never asked for a deposit or had anyone sign a contract prior to his working on their diamond rings, jewelry, watches or making a custom design piece for which he had to supply diamonds, precious gemstones, gold, platinum or silver, or whatever..........just the way it's done.

Only once did he get a diamond selection in, when one young fellow wanted "conflict free diamonds" and then the young man didn't want to pay the price.........he actually never showed up to even look at them.

So, some customers are just "talkers" and not serious. He later sent a letter explaining his problem.

Trust is very important in a merchant vs. customer relationship, both ways...........or contractor vs. home owner customer...........

We've had major projects done and always were happy with the outcome.
Never gave money up front........as they never asked and even when my husband would offer......they would say, "NO. When the job is done."

Just the way Vermont is.

We did live in Florida and totally remodeled our condo.......with local contractors. It came out great.......all of the tile guys, plumbers, bathroom guys, electricians, carpet guys, painters, etc., etc. were great..........only at the end did we find out the kitchen remodelers had a "lien" on their business and that "lien" was transferred to our condo which we were trying to re sell..........luckily, it all worked out as they came up with the money to pay their creditors...........but it was hairy for awhile. Just a Florida experience.......which we will keep in mind for our future.