View Single Post

Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

If they are part of a chain they most probably do. Corporations have whole armies of people who scan social media and then post on various sites like FarceBook, Twitter, Timblr, You-Tube and so on. It has become a major arm of their marketing.

Now comes the next part, and I guarantee that you won't like it. And don't get all crazy and shoot the messenger, but I speak the truth..

Since you are in what is commonly reffered to in the advertising business as the "50 To Dead" demo Y-O-U don't count. What you think..what you want absolutely DOES NOT MATTER to these big chains. They are looking for 25-45 and 25-54 demos. Emphasis on the lower numbers.

Those in the 50+ demo have the LARGEST AMOUNT OF DISPOSABLE income of any demo, and they don't care about you.

Media buyers and media researchers are pretty muched aged 21-38. They are the ones making the choices, the policy and who and what they care about. You don't fit into their marketing scheme.

I have spent nearly 40 years in radio and I know how hard it is to attract advertisers into this very lucrative demo. But you can't tell that to a 30-something. They think you are old, dull, boring & cheap. They cannot conceive of you being vital.

They are the ones reading the social media, they are the ones making the ad buys and setting policy. It's a losing battle.

So..the best way for you to make your concerns known is to do it LOCALLY. The local manager or franchisor is relying on YOUR dollars. it is the only way for you to get a good result from your concerns.