View Single Post

Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I often wonder if you have children.

When I taught we would have what I called "food moms" who would not allow their child to have sweets when they were sent in for holiday parties. or requested...STRONGLY that holiday parties have snacks like carrots or fruit.

I always knew the food moms loved their children deeply but I always thought that if they allowed a child an occasional sugar treat it would not kill them. Obviously for children with juvenile diabetes, it was a much easier plan. We just didn't have sugary treats EVER...and the same for peanut allergies.

I was faced with deciding if we should not have any food treats at parties, or have only healthy ones which aren't all that ....um...festive.

When I had a food mom which was not every year....I would just say no treats. It was too hard to watch the child who couldn't have the iced pumpkin cookie eat his packet of raisins. Remember, I taught five and six year olds.

We all survived. I wonder what happened to the little ones whose moms were so strict about food?

Were you young enough to be in my class Villages Pl?

When I was growing up, my mom was not one of those strict moms that you described above. I won't bore you with all the details but believe me, I ate my share of processed desserts, which I now will call "garbage".

Basically, I guess you could say that, as a kid, I ate the Standard American Diet (SAD). It included everything that you and others on this board would happily call "moderation". Thankfully, I survived it because I was young.

But she did draw a line when it came to stocking the refrigerator. I, as a young lad, was not in charge of stocking the refrigerator. And now, when I think back to those days, I'm glad that she was an adult with a backbone to set down some common sense rules.

Now, though I'm young at heart, I'm getting older and older and it's a whole new ball game. Whatever life is left for me, I value and want to make the most of it. And the so called "golden years" won't come from eating junk. A poor diet will only serve to hasten or bring on the degenerative diseases of aging.

Remember, it's all about risk. You can say that you and your uncle eat lots of junk and are still healthy. But disease has a way of showing up when you don't expect it, and then it's a surprise, at least it is to most people.

Hope I didn't bore anyone!