View Single Post

Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
Well, I googled "cow magnets" thinking it was a funny name for something entirely different but no...it's a cow magnet. Apparently cows are indiscriminate eaters and will ingest nails, brads, pieces of baling wire, etc. along with grass and other more digestible green stuff. They thus can suffer from "hardware disease" (honest, I got this off the internet). To stop it, farmers put these magnets in the cow's first stomach to attract the metal stuff and prevent it from going further into the cow's digestive system and causing real problems.

Pictures show them to be round cylinders about 1/2 to 3/4 " in diameter by about 3" long.

How did I reach retirement without ever having heard of this? Maybe it will be a trivia question on game day when I take my next cruise and I'll help my team win the big prize...or not!
omgosh Juneroses. You are smarter than this Cincinnati girl. I was thinking cute little cow refrigerator magnets. This is indeed useful info.

We got the price quoted and paid it. Just over 1000 bucks, but the lanai is 42 ft. long. Now we will see if it was money well spent.