View Single Post

Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Honestly, who really knows what the actual lease is between the Developer and a Publix, or for that matter, another retail store in TV. It's likely all any of us will ever know is rumors from which we make assumptions and conjecture regarding any long term lease between such parties. With the "stakes" in the thousands and sometimes in the millions both parties have their attorney's working out all the intricate details of the terms of such a lease. This would not be the first "dance" for a Publix, Sweetbay, Target, Belks or the TV Developer.

It will all be "worked out" and I would place a bet that we will benefit!
""As a retail business owner in The Villages, I do know that businesses that lease retail space from The Villages pay a percentage of their sales to them. Where this money goes (except profit) is a question. ""

I just googled the question and found this above post on Talk of the Villages posted in 2007 . I know that the retail shop business owners pay a percentage of their profits or sales to THE VILLAGES as my husband was told that. I didn't list this person above's screen name but it was 2007. I believe we were told at least three or more years ago.

This may NOT relate to PUBLIX........but to a retail store such as a clothing store or jewelry store or furniture sture.......not a big conglomerate chain like Walmart or Publix or Beals, etc.

In the real world, other than a MALL STORE, no other small retail store owner pays a percentage of their sales profits to anyone..........other than in local, state and federal taxes.......or to their employees re payroll, benefits, etc. Of course, they pay rent to their landlord and pay their own utilities but their profit is theirs to keep..........or they would not be in business.

p.s. I was just told that the reason behind the mall store owners having to pay a share of their profits to the developer is that the developer then pays for the general advertising????
So, besides rent, they pay a percentage of their profits. A small retailer on a "Main Street" type of town center also pays his own advertising and everything else.

Still , on a similar thought...........we were also told decades ago that anyone who wanted to open up a shop in Disney World, such as at Epcot, would also pay a share of their profits to Disney.
Ask and ye shall find.