Gomes de Sa Codfish recipe

Print
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
30 mins
Total time
40 mins

This is one of the most typical Portuguese codfish recipes and it was created in the Oporto city.
Recipe type: Fish
Serves: 4
Ingredients
2 lbs. salt cod
1 cup olive oil
4 medium-sized sliced onions
1 tsp. garlic, finely-chopped
6 medium-sized potatoes
20 pitted black olives
6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
2 Tbs. parsley, finely chopped
Instructions
The day before, soak the salt cod in a container of water for 16 – 24 hours, changing the water 3 or 4 times. Then, drain and rinse the cod.
Boil the codfish in a saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain thoroughly the fish and remove any skin or bones with a paring knife. Set aside.
Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in their skins. Then drain, peel and slice the potatoes into ¼-inch slices. Set aside.
In a frying-pan, heat half of the olive oil over medium high heat for two minutes. Add the sliced onion and sautée for about 6 or 7 minutes until they get translucent. Stir in the garlic and remove from the heat.
Lay half the potatoes in the bottom of a casserole. Cover them with half the cod and then half of the onion. Repeat once more the layers and drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the top.
Bake for about 20 minutes in a 400ºF/200ºC oven until the top is lightly browned. Then garnish with olives, the boiled eggs, already sliced and sprinkle with the parsley. Finally, serve the Gomes de Sá codfish.

Here is a website with photo......it is very good.....enjoy.

Portuguese Kitchen: Codfish,potatoes & onion casserole - Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.