View Single Post

Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I had wanted to be honest about my interest in a niche in the delivery of victim services while looking for work in law librarianship-- via access to practical information through libraries-- after the U of MN Law School and Library management decided not to renew my employment contact in 1991. I had become very interested in victim services after the 2-24-1976 murder of my then Earl Wooster High School teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. 2-24 is also my birthday and Mrs. Barbara Mitchell gave me and another student in 1976-1977 the Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship. Mrs. Mitchell had played a pivotal role in my high school life before her daughter Michelle was murdered.

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) paid to fly me from Chicago--where I was caring for a paraplegic relative Bill E. who had two limbs blown off during WWII in Italy by a Panzer tank's tree burst shell-- to Durham. They had a Law Professor who had been a victim of crime and seemed to share some of my interests. The interview with NCCU went well until I got to the Dean's Office and then was accused by the Deans of lying on my resume about Document Delivery. I was shocked by the whole thing. I had done Document Delivery at the U of Minnesota Law School. That's when some library user off campus wants a copy of say page 22 in volume 24 of Minnesota Reports. You copy it when you are sure you have the right page and then fax or mail it to them depending on their instructions. I was checking the work of two employees because I had been asked to do this by the Circulation Department. Document Delivery is as common say to academic law librarianship as dribbling is to basketball.

It was par for the course though with my fight for victims' services accessible through law school libraries and public librraies. I have encountered dirty trick after dirty trick. That's why my enthusiasm for the University of Minnesota Law School and Library is seriously curbed. Roughly the same thing happened at the Washoe County Law Library in Reno, Nevada. I paid to drive there from the Santa Rosa, CA area and then the Law Library Director accused me about lying about Document Delivery at the U of MN Law Library on my resume. I had checked in libraries all over Reno from late February 1976 through when I moved from Reno for practical materials for survivors of crimes and found very little of any real use. That was while I was working my way through college at the University of Nevada, Reno with 2 BAs in Philosophy and History and getting a start on 2 MAs in the same area that I did very little work on at that time.

I mentioned some of these problems during a UCSF School of Public Health (U of CA San Francisco) study in January through March or so of 1993 on stress on the unemployed. I was subject #613. I have used 224 and 613 in my massive fight for respect for survivors of crimes since then.

I have continued fighting for better access for victims services through libraries since 1991 or so. You would think with what is in the news with the shootings and mental health system problems that people would see how important this is? Libraries must be involved in this. I do have a bias towards education and humanism. Of course, people can do a lot of this kind of work now through Facebook and over other Internet sources like TOTV (I have a lot of stuff on victims services in the support group section) but they do have to know how to dig for information.
Now I'm lost ...