View Single Post

Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Default hope this helps clear up the pricing

I am not a realtor nor do I work for the Villages. Just learned things for our purchases. Each model has a base price. You start there. Each model has a designated name. "iris" "begonia" If an upgrade is made to a particular floorplan (say trey ceilings) the developer may change the name (and usually raise the base price). The old name will be shelved.

Now you have to pick the land. Each model comes with a base price for a lot. If you pick a house on your standard lot there is no add on. OR if you pick a standard lot and build on it there is no add on. If your lot is oversized, or has a golf course "view" (from even across the busy street), or is on the golf course, or is on a preserve, there are add ons. A nice lot on a golf course could add as much as $50,0000 to your house price.

Now you have to pay for what you or they put in the house. Low end package is laminite, carpet, enamel appliances. If you go with a stainless steel package, granite countertops, high end tile on the diagonal. Add on Add on Add on.

Now the structural add ons. Golf cart garage? Add on. Stretch the garage? Add on, Stretch one side of the house to give more living room and bedroom? Add on.

Pool or spa? add on.

Some of the models are sold with furniture package. add on.

Now you know why two models of the same house can have a vastly different bottom line.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Question for those in the know.......
Usually, I've been looking at "resales" of designer pool homes as we were not sure we'd want to go the route of building "from afar".....not knowing exactly how it would turn out.......been there, done that. We've done a lot of additions, building and remodeling in our lifetime. Owned many homes.

Plus, there are many excellent , gently used, resales in The Villages.

However, yesterday, I came across a newly built cement/stucco home in the Village of Gilchrist........today I came across the same exact house in the Village of Fernandina. Same model tour.

The "model tours" are exactly the very same house visually.

Both say corner lot. Both have HUGE lanai and look to be on golf course.
Spa. No pool.

However, I doubt the first one would be only $265,931. marked down to $256,995. Its a Begonia on Dafoe Terrace, 3 bed, 2 bath, 1,910 sq. ft. golf cart garage, etc..........it shows a HUGE LANAI and a spa.

The second one, just found this morning, is the exact same house, but it is $317,382. marked down to $305,995. Same house as the one yesterday. This model is on Mockingbird in Fernandina.

They look like they are on a golf course.....but something tells me NOT.

The one on Dafoe says it has carpeting.

The one on Mockingbird says it has tile everywhere but bedrooms.

The MODEL TOUR shows beautiful dark wood floors throughout.

My husband thinks they are using one generic photo for all???????????

How much more would it cost to build the Begonia but with hardwood floors throughout, even in the kitchen?

Also, I wonder if these "models" are "bumped out" like the one we stayed in which was very generously sized and bumped out, as told to me by the owner. Our kids even liked the Begonia. The lanai was good sized with a birdcaged pool off of it......for great outdoor living.....

How many have traveled down thinking what they saw online was still around and it was either sold or not quite the same?

When we looked at some models, the realtor told us that the Iris was supposedly the shrunken something or other that we were staying in for our Lifestyle Visit at Creekside Landing. I can honestly say it did not look anything like the model we were staying in.........

Can anyone divulge the "extra amount of $$" to get the average new construction house to look like the model???? Cost to bump out here and there? Cost for a few upgrades. Cost for larger lanai?

I know the realtor could tell us. Just wondering if anyone could help us out as we "think it over"..........first.

Thanks in advance, as always, for the wonderful input everyone shares along with the wonderful insight of having been there and already done it.

Also, who is happy with their resale?
Who is happier with their brand new home?
Obviously there are good points to both.

We would want to make the lanai and birdcaged area a great outdoor living area with summer kitchen..........so that's another fee on top of a pool.

Thankyou!!

Anyway, we are planning.........